Thursday, May 26, 2011

A Polka Plant that Once Was: Hypoestes phyllostachya

Unfortunately, plants come and go, as is the cycle of nature, right?  Sometimes, though, it's not the cold, harsh weather that decides to eliminate a plant, nor the overshadowing of a bigger plant that towers over a young seedling.  I will admit that I had, and still have problems cutting back on plants.


Some plants that look so pristine sitting in their nice little pot burst into monstrous, leggy beings.  They start to grow all lopsided, awkwardly growing too far up with little bushiness. 


Poor Polka Dot.  He once, I swear, was healthy.




I was enthralled by his bright varieties of crimson red splashed throughout the pale pink and blood red leaves.  He was a perfect addition to the sunny window ledge.  I even bought him a special pot.


Polka grew fast and strong the few short months he was with me.  








A monster of a plant who couldn't grow just right.  

2 comments:

  1. Ugly is a leading, but little-discussed, cause of plant death. Better it happen with Hypoestes than with something that would be difficult or expensive to get again, though, if you ever wanted to try again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has neglected, or over cared for some plants which resulted in death. Honestly, though, I don't think I'll ever buy Hypoestes again, who wasn't even that cheap. (he was $8 because the garden center near here is a little ridiculous in price).

    How do you do it, Mr_Subjunctive? 1,000 plants! You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete